Physical Education

Physical Education

home DEPARTMENTS

Physical Education is a lifestyle not just a subject!

The aim of Physical Education at Northwood College for Girls is to inspire all students to lead a healthy and active lifestyle through developing a lifelong love of physical activity; providing students with the skills to participate in a wide range of activities not only throughout their schooling but also throughout their life. By developing positive self-esteem, fostering self-confidence and the desire to participate as well as providing an outlet for healthy competition that gives all students the chance to experience that’ winning feeling’.

This is achieved through delivering high quality lessons that are active, fun and stretch all ability levels. Members of the Physical Education department act as role models for students to aspire to, using their expertise to build confidence and achieve the best out of all students. Intra and inter school competition in a wide range of activities develops higher performance skills and students are directed and channelled towards both  internal and external sports clubs to further their experiences and the chance to reach their full potential.

We have an extensive fixture calendar and participate competitively in 15 different sports throughout the year.

Facilities

25 metre 6 lane indoor swimming pool, large 4 badminton court sports hall with climbing and traversing wall, netball & tennis courts, small all-weather pitch, sports field with 200 metre athletics track, long / triple jump pit, dance studio and fitness suite.

Curriculum

Key stage 3 – the following activities are taught within the curriculum: netball, swimming, hockey, badminton, rock climbing, basketball, gymnastics, dance, athletics, tennis, rounders, cricket, handball, football and water polo.

Key stage 4 – in Year 10 pupils follow a carousel of activities that include: aerobics, basketball, circuits, cricket, handball, rounders, tennis and yoga. The pupils choose to follow a pathway in Year 11 from: aesthetic activities, aquatic activities, fitness, invasion games and net / wall games. Within these pathways they participate in variety of activities for example aesthetic activities includes gymnastics, dance and trampolining; fitness – Pilates, circuits, yoga, Zumba and high intensity interval training.

Trips

Pupils have the opportunity to join the annual ski trip to the USA or Canada and biannually a water sports trip to France or Spain.

The pupils reach high standards of personal fulfilment across a wide range of activities.

ISI Report 2012
you may also be interested in
Senior